Sunday, 25 November 2012

Ashikaga




Review from naruto_samurailuver14325

               I just want to start off by saying, this must be a joke! I was promised a fantastic time with the samurai of the Ashikaga Bakufu and it's nowhere NEAR what I expected. I've watched enough anime and seen enough samurai movies to know this is not who samurais are! Where's the Bushido code?! Where are the swords!? This is ridiculous, seriously. I'll explain more in depth so you can all avoid making the same mistake as I did, coming to the Muromachi period.
               First of all, when I was inquiring about where to find the best samurai to meet, I was able to talk to a Buddhist monk about the recent history of Japan. Here's something I bet no one knew: The Ashikaga Bakufu was founded by a samurai who was a TRAITOR! This Ashikaga Takauji guy actually switched sides TWICE and founded this bakufu. Actually, this monk began rambling about how he's known many samurai who haven't actually been loyal to their masters; switching sides when it so pleases them, running away in the middle of a battle scared, what the heck? When did this begin happening? Whatever happened to the Bushido code I knew so much about? It doesn't even seem to exist, how do they get their morals?
               Anyways, I was able to meet up with one of the samurai the monk recommended to find out what kind of training he must do to perfect his swordsmanship, and he told me that the main weapon of his was actually the bow and arrow. THE BOW AND ARROW! Really? Where's the SWORD!? The samurai's sword is his soul! In fact, the samurai told me that swords aren't even used much in battle and that long spears called Yari are preferred. Hrrrrrrrrrnnngggg! And then he told me, get this, they don't do nanori. No name calling. Seriously. How do they find their opponents? The Honour! Where's the HONOUR!?  Speaking of honour, everyone knows if a samurai screws up somewhere in their life, they must commit seppuku to keep their honour right? Well, this samurai told me, listen to this: "Seppuku for honour? Hah! The main reason anyone would commit seppuku is to escape a painful death in the hands of your enemy." I thought I was going to pass out.
               So yah, if you're thinking about visiting this Muromachi era, do yourself a favour and go visit Japan in the present day and age. I prefer my samurai with swords and the bushido spirit, thank you very much. Evidently, none of those things are apparent in the Muromachi period, what a rip off.

No comments:

Post a Comment